The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Fleet Mechanic opportunity you should have:
- Experience performing preventative maintenance and repairs on automotive diesel trucks; experience also with gasoline vehicles is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with maintenance shop/garage operations, and a proven quality record.
- An aptitude for all aspects of vehicle repair.
- The ability to:
- Diagnose engine issues, including using OEM software.
- Manage parts inventory and accurately charge parts and labor to electronic work orders.
- Lift 75 lbs. safely.
- Effective written and verbal comprehension and communication skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- A high level of comfort working on/under trucks for an entire shift (8 to 10 hours).
- The ability to work independently and make sound decisions independently and with minimal instructions.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with diverse people.
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a team and assist in the accomplishment of company goals.
- Hands-on experience in fleet maintenance.
- Experience with computerized maintenance systems.
You'll drive back and forth from Alameda to the different locations during your shift and be paid for that time. There is some flexibility -- for example, you may prefer to get on the road at 11 AM. While overtime is not guaranteed, there may be opportunities to earn it.
An offer of employment is based on the satisfactory completion of a drug screen and background check.
The RoleRole overview
As part of the California Region Fleet team Frito-Lay, you will support the various locations, working in a two-bay shop in Alameda and in open, metal awning shops in the other locations. You'll work on gasoline/diesel mid-size Route and Straight trucks. Examples include Ford Transits (4.8L, 5.4L, 5.7L), Mercedes Sprinters, International VT365 and T444E, Hino (5.0L and 8.0L), etc. We also have some Smith Electric trucks in these locations, and we'll train you on them.
In this position you will:
- Coordinate and schedule maintenance and repairs to ensure reliability of the fleet.
- Plan, coordinate and schedule daily work.
- Ensure deployment of proper asset mix and spares to ensure reliability and to protect volume spikes.
- Coordinate and schedule preventive maintenance on assigned trucks.
- Manage proper level of parts inventory.
- Help maintain up-to-date files for preventative maintenance and DOT regulated assets.
- Understand and follow company policies and practices.
To excel in this role you'll establish relationships with the Route Sales Representatives (RSRs) and their Managers -- they should be comfortable coming to you with concerns about their trucks. The RSRs will be your customer and getting them to the market is your overall job.
In addition to working independently, you should have a solid work ethic and the ability to be efficient in planning your schedule and doing the work to stay up on the PM schedule.
Note: This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are exclusive standards of the position. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform additional related duties as may be required by the supervisor.
More Good ReasonsThrive in an important role
We understand the crucial role our Technicians play in keeping our front-line sales team on the road and in contact with customers. In fact, we value and appreciate every member of our team. We place a high value on respect, safety and collaboration.
As part of PepsiCo, we're proud of the awards we've received, because they represent both the personal and collaborative achievements of our team members.
- PepsiCo ranked #1 on CoreBrand's list of the Most Respected Companies.
- PepsiCo ranked #37 among the Top 50 companies on Fortune's 2013 World's Most Admired Companies list.
- PepsiCo was included in the Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 100 Best Corporate Citizens list.
- PepsiCo ranked #7 among Chief Executive Magazine's Best Companies for Leaders.
- PepsiCo was included in Ethisphere's 2013 World's Most Ethical Companies. 2013 marked PepsiCo's seventh year on this list.
Diversity is essential to building and shaping a strong team and we're proactive about inclusion. But don't just take our word for it! Just take a look at some of the recognition we've received for our diversity:
- PepsiCo ranked among GIJobs.com's Top 25 Military Friendly Employers for the second consecutive year.
- PepsiCo ranked #11 on Hispanic Business' 2013 Best Companies for Diversity.
- PepsiCo was recognized by Working Mother's Best Companies for Multicultural Women.
- PepsiCo was acknowledged by LATINAStyle magazine as one of its Top 50 companies for Latinas.
- PepsiCo received a perfect score on Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for LGBT employees and their families.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer comprehensive benefits that include health care benefits, retirement and savings benefits such as a pension and 401(k), paid time off, uniforms, tool allowance, and much more.
Pictured: The team at Frito-Lay gives back to the communities we live and work in. For example, we've supported the United Way for over 10 years, with employees contributing more than 25,000 volunteer hours and the company investing more than $26 million.
About UsFrito-Lay has been making the best snacks on earth for more than 80 years. Our founders' dreams to be America's favorite snack food company continues to be fulfilled by more than 50,000 Frito-Lay associates across the U.S. who make, sell, move and support our delicious snacks. Our brands include a variety of household names, including Fritos, Lays, Doritos, Cheetos, CrackerJack, Sun Chips, and many more. We are a proud member of the PepsiCo family.
PepsiCo is a leading global food and beverage company with brands that are respected household names throughout the world. We offer products to over 200 countries and territories, and our Global Brands are our biggest sellers. PepsiCo's flagship food and beverages, 22 iconic, billion-dollar brands, include household names such as Pepsi, Gatorade, Frito Lay, Tropicana, Quaker, Aquafina, and many more.